Sunday, June 6, 2010

Addict

After painstakingly giving up coffee throughout 9 months of pregnancy and then through at least 18 months of nursing, spending many a narcoleptic afternoon wondering what would happen if I keeled over in a comatose and Lord of the Flies became a reality, I inhaled the grounds from a bag of my favorite Texas, San Antonio blend H.E.B. coffee.  Immediately striking up a love affair with my perculator, the aroma danced through my nostrils, and like a rehabilitated junkie I brewed that first cup with delight and anticipation.  Adding just the right amount of milk and cream before sipping.  Ahhhh- that's the way to start a morning!  
My tea pot grew lonely and dusty on the shelf and my bags of caffeine free rooibos and samples of hibiscus, licorice root and blueberry were now stale and moldy.  For who even thinks to dabble with mint, chamomile, or green when it's GO time... 
At first it was just one cup.  Then I started routinely drinking another after dropping off Boy Dinosaur at Preschool.  Topping off another at 10ish.  By 2:30 I would start to crash and reheat from the pot for a quick pick me up to get through the afternoon. 
Why am I so tired?  
It's GO time!!!!  
Slugging and slinking finally to bed I melt into the covers and my eyes are frozen open..  Just one more show..  Just one more chapter..  Just one more phone call..  What is the plan for tomorrow?  What should I make for breakfast?  Why can't I fall asleep?


Unceremoniously dumping coffee into a GO cup sucking it down like fuel and driving to and from this and that was now routine, mundane and mandatory.


Then I received chocolate covered beans for my birthday.  I started eating them like crack rocks as a preventative measure to combat the afternoon slump.  I had a bag in the car and in the kitchen.  Maybe I should just eat these for breakfast!  Plus they are so tiny (therefore practically fat free right) and without the cream or annoying heat.. 
Hey, it might even help me loose the baby weight!  
How long can I call it baby weight?  Is there a window 1-2 or 1-5 years..... omg I haven't lost a pound after two children.. it's been two years and now I'm just fat and can't even call it baby weight!!! 


Why am I an emotional roller coaster? 
Where's my chocolate coffee candy!!!


Domestic Strategist:  "Hey Mom, I didn't have any coffee today and I feel great.  I'm so proud of myself.  It's weird not even a headache"  "Oh, Wait... I drove through and ordered a mocha frappe.."  "It was cold so I forgot it was coffee...I'm so scatterbrained." 


Boy Dinosaur: "Mom, when I'm a grown up I'm going to eat spicy food, chew gum, and drink hot coffee.", chew gum and drink hot coffee."

No comments:

Post a Comment